Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Computer Scare

Yesterday, I almost cried. I teetered on the edge of throwing myself on the floor, kicking and crying. I had the latest version of my WIP --the one I've been working on for a couple of years now--on a zip drive. Well, when I plugged it in yesterday, my file --only my WIP file and none other--is corrupted.

I tried all kinds of things to recover a version with most of my changes. Nada.

I called in favors, drove to the state university computer people and begged. Nada.

Finally, got referred to this tiny computer shop --The Computer Stop -- hidden in a shopping strip of burgers, salons and laundromat and pub. Left my baby with them for an agonizing hour. And the staff retrieved most of it. I don't think I've ever been so happy to write out a check!

Moral of the story: Backup, backup, backup. On a weekly basis.

Accidents can happen, files get corrupted, zips get lost. You don't want all your hard work to vanish in an instant.

Okay, I'm breathing again and writing too! :)

No comments: