Thursday, October 2, 2008

The use of apostrophes in Texas

Okay I had to share this, since we are the TXTypos!


I recently got this question:

I have a friend in Alabama who's trying to tell me the difference between "you all" and "ya'll." But I'm still unclear. I thought "ya'll" was for addressing one person (you) and "all ya'll" was for more than one (you guys).


Is that right?

Followed by:

Okay, disregard. LOL. After reading my friend's e-mail THREE times through, I finally figured out what she was trying to say. She was trying to correct my placement of the apostrophe. Hence, "y'all" vs. "ya'll." Apparently, she sees that error all the time in books, and it drives her crazy.

My response:

Yes the apostrophe placement is very important in Texas as in y'all and fixin' to.

Such as Y'all are fixin' to get into a heck of trouble for misusing the apostrophe! :P

No comments: