Monday, June 8, 2009

Seeing the light - and it's a train

I was a little disappointed today. Make that a lot. In the first round of a recent contest I was a finalist in two categories. I scored highest with one MS and tied for highest with another. Can't get much more promising than that!

I've been eagerly awaiting results and comments from the final round judges.

Well, today I got the results. 3rd out of five with the one I thought needed the most work and Honorable Mention with the other. She apparently couldn't bear to place me fifth so I guess I got the HM by default. It's been a while since I received a failing grade and a little hard to swallow.

This is the second MS (of mine) the latter editor has seen. She does not like my work, will never like my work. I understand and that's okay. She probably enjoys stuff I hate to read.

These entries plus a third are (courtesy contest finals) under review by other editors at that particular, and my dream, publishing house, but it's occurred to me I'm wasting my time there.

I know there are, and will be, other dreams. But it's always sad when something turns to dust.

2 comments:

Rashda Khan said...

Yes it's sad to let go of a dream, but to quote a wise friend of mine (you): "It's time to get another dream."

You know you write well, just make sure you remember it.

Libby Scrivener said...

Ha! Thanks.

Or is it:

You know you write. Well...

Amazingly the third-placement also got a request. I just found out.

The world continues to baffle me.